Saturday, January 10, 2009

Can I Ask You A Question World?

I was listening to an old Hindi song on youtube, scrolling down through the comments. What I read disturbed me quite a bit, as there was much swearing and no end to put downs between Indians and Pakistanis. It got me quite upset about the state of people's minds. 
The song wasn't even a song that could instigate any argument, its lyrics were only about yearning for the homeland. I thoguht it was quite pathetic that such audacious comments followed a wonderful, emotionally deep song. 

Can I ask the world something?

I ask just this; stop for a moment, and let your chattering thoughts quieten. I ask you all to look at each other. Do you see a pair of shining eyes? Do you see a pair of open ears? Do you see a mouth, turned up into a welcoming smile? Do you see two hands that can hold your own? Do you see two feet that can walk beside your own?

Can you see a heart, much like your own, yearning for happiness, for love and for peace?

Do you see yourself reflected in eyes much like your own?

 

Or do you see chocolate colored skin? Almond shaped eyes?  Do you see the nationality of an Indian, Palestinian, Mexican or American? Do you see a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu or a Christian? Do you see a cold lump of coal, lodged deep in their chest, filled with hatred, cynicism, and violence?

Do you see yourself in eyes which you think not to be like your own?

 

Are we all not human beings first? Or are we part of a religion, then a nationality? Are we all for each other, a people united together? Or are we first for our own interests, and then for the interests of others?

 

Let me ask you, Pakistan, are you so insecure that you must put down your neighbor, India, instead of rising up and proving to the world that you are much more? Let me ask you, India, are you so full of yourself that you point fingers at your neighbor Pakistan?

How about you, Israel, are you so full of fear that you are ready to take the lives of people who deserve much more than a life full of fear and death? People who are much like your own people?

And you, Palestine, are you so full of pride that even as your neighbor’s actions terrify your people, you hide and ignore the cries for help and hope?

 

I ask you all, to throw aside your religion, your nationality, your hatred and disrespect toward one another, and look with your own eyes. Eyes that have not been brainwashed by primitive, negative feelings, eyes that do not know to judge, that do not know to discriminate. I ask you to smile with lips that will not spit out abusive words and accusations. I ask you to take on the world with open arms. I ask you to see every one as a human being, with the same hands, legs, eyes and heart as you. I ask you to feel everyone’s emotions, the absolute same as yours.

 

I ask you to rise above your anger, hatred, insecurity and pride, and see the same within each other, instead of the differences. I ask you to see yourself in everyone around you

 

And then, I ask you to see your differences, but keeping in mind your similarities. I ask you to acknowledge that differences to exist on the outside, but that inside we are all one and the same.

 

I ask you to make this simple realization, whatever it takes. And then I ask you, world, to find your own path from there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment